Phos (Light) Devotional

Monday, February 14, 2005

Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff

Worrying is counter productive to your spiritual growth. So why do you worry so much? The scriptures are full of prohibitions against it. Christians should be the last people on the planet to worry. We have blessed assurance that the Lord will work on our behalf no matter the test. Be very sure that your anchor holds and grips the solid rock and that rock is Christ. The Bible uses words like fret, care and thought to describe worrying:

1. Fret – Means to be hot or to stew over something. (Psalm 37:1) A Psalm of David. Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. (Psalm 37:7-8) Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass. [8] Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

2. Thought – Means to be anxious about something. (Luke 12:22) And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on. (Luke 12:25-26) And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit? [26] If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?

3. Care – Means distraction. (1 Peter 5:7) Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.

The Professional Worrier

“ I have a mountain of credit card debt,” one man told another. “I’ve lost my job, my job, my car is being repossessed, and our house is in foreclosure, but I’m not worried about it.” “Not worried about it!” exclaimed his friend.

“No I’ve hired a professional worrier. He does all my worrying for me, and that way I don’t have to think about it.”

“ That’s fantastic. How much does it cost?”

“Fifty thousand dollars a year,” replied the first man.

“Fifty thousand dollars a year?” How can you afford that?

“I don’t know,” he replied “ That’s not my worry.”

We have a professional worrier His name is Jesus. Give him all your frets, care, and thoughts today and let him do the worrying for you.

Word for Today
Umbrage - Offense; resentment: took umbrage at their rudeness.

Quote for Today
Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home