Phos (Light) Devotional

Friday, February 11, 2005

Cussing Saints

If anyone knows how hard it is to stop the habit of cursing, it's me. I started cursing in junior high because it was a part of the group language I had developed. When I became a Christian as a junior in high school, I knew that type of language would not be acceptable. I began to pray earnestly that the Lord would take this foul speech from my lips. Knowing that people would be watching everything I said and did, it was paramount for me to get control of this ungodly habit. If you have a problem controlling your tongue, listen to the advice of Solomon:

1). Proverbs 17:7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince.
2). Proverbs 10:20 The tongue of the just is as choice silver: the heart of the wicked is little worth.
3). Proverbs 21:23 Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.
If you have problems with your tongue, so did Jim O'Conner of Chicago. Jim started a Cuss Control Academy, offering seminars for business men and schools. In the school, he offers a ten step program:

1. Vulgar language damages
2. Pretend Grandma is listening to your conversation
3. Think positive
4. Practice patience
5. Learn to cope
6. Don't complain
7. Change your vocabulary
8. Try politeness
9. Ask yourself, "could I have said it in a different way?"
10. Be proactive in your speech. Think of alternative words before a stressful situation erupts.

Word for Today
Vulgarity - Something, such as an act or expression, which offends good taste or propriety.

Quote for Today
“No people ever lived by cursing their fathers, however great a curse their fathers were to them." Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home