Phos (Light) Devotional

Friday, January 21, 2005

Did You Ask The Lord First?

A husband and wife from California were motoring through Texas. They saw a tornado coming and, of course, they were afraid. The husband pulled the car off to the side of the road and stopped; the couple got out and crouched beside it. The twister was moving directly toward them but, at the last second, veered off across a field, then hit and totally demolished a small wooden house. The man and woman, still shaking with fright, got up and ran toward the house, which now consisted of little more than kindling wood and a hole in the ground. They looked down into the hole and saw an old man holding on for dear life to a piece of timber, his eyes tightly closed. The woman called down to him, “Hey down there, are you all right?” The old man opened his eyes, looked around cautiously and said, “I guess so.” The woman asked, “Was there anyone else with you?” The old man replied, “Just me and God, and we were having an urgent conversation.”

No one could think the old man strange for praying in the midst of a tornado. We all have the tendency to pray when something big is before us. I believe the mature Christian prays over the small things as well. There are two basic aspects to life: the natural life and the spiritual life. The natural life can consist of things you don’t necessarily have to pray about. For example, common sense tells us that you need not pray if you should brush your teeth in the morning. The spiritual life has to do more with the effects of life. The effects of life are broken down by asking three questions: 1) Would this affect my relationship with the Lord? 2) Would this affect my relationship with any Christian brother or sister? 3) Would this affect an unbeliever’s view of the Christian faith?

If you have to question what you are about to do in any one of these categories, you should pray first. Here are three Bible prayers you can pray to help you in the process.

David’s prayer for God’s guidance: Psalm 73:21‑28 (KJV)

Thus my heart was grieved, and I was pricked in my reins. [22] So foolish was I, and ignorant: I was as a beast before thee. [23] Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. [24] Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. [25] Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. [26] My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. [27] For, lo, they that are far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that go a whoring from thee. [28] But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all thy works.

David’s prayer for God’s deliverance from self: Psalm 39:7‑13 (KJV)

And now, Lord, what wait I for? my hope is in thee. [8] Deliver me from all my transgressions: make me not the reproach of the foolish. [9] I was dumb, I opened not my mouth; because thou didst it. [10] Remove thy stroke away from me: I am consumed by the blow of thine hand. [11] When thou with rebukes dost correct man for iniquity, thou makest his beauty to consume away like a moth: surely every man is vanity. Selah. [12] Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were. [13] O spare me, that I may recover strength, before I go hence, and be no more.

David’s prayer for God’s confidence: Psalm 65:1‑5 (KJV)

Praise waiteth for thee, O God, in Sion: and unto thee shall the vow be performed. [2] O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come. [3] Iniquities prevail against me: as for our transgressions, thou shalt purge them away. [4] Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple. [5] By terrible things in righteousness wilt thou answer us, O God of our salvation; who art the confidence of all the ends of the earth, and of them that are afar off upon the sea:

Word for Today

Exculpation - to clear of guilt or blame.

Quote for Today

“The desire is thy prayers; and if thy desire is without ceasing, thy prayer will also be without ceasing. The continuance of your longing is the continuance of your prayer.”

- Saint Augustine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home