Phos (Light) Devotional

Thursday, March 17, 2005

What’s In Your Heart?

A wise woman who was traveling in the mountains found a precious stone in a stream. The next day she met another traveler who was hungry, and the wise woman opened her bag to share her food. The hungry traveler saw the precious stone and asked the woman to give it to him. She did so without hesitation.

The traveler left rejoicing in his good fortune. He knew the stone was worth enough to give him security for a lifetime; however, a few days later he came back to return the stone to the wise woman.

"I've been thinking," he said. "I know how valuable this stone is, but I give it back in the hope that you can give me something even more precious. Please give me what you have within you that enabled you to give me this stone." Sometimes it's not the wealth you have, but what's inside you that others need. (Thanks, Russ.)

It is much easier to give of your things than to give of yourself. People find it easier at Christmas time to throw a present under a tree than to make something with their hands. Birthday cakes are bought from the local grocery store rather than made from scratch. One of my fondest memories is of my seventh birthday when my mother made me a pink coconut cake. She didn’t buy it from the store; she made it with her own hands.

So what’s in your heart? All of us have things we have experienced in life that we can share with other people. Teach someone how to ride a bike. That is giving from your heart. Teach someone how to build a model. Teach someone how to shoot a basketball. Teach someone how to do a math problem. Teach someone how to pray. Teach someone how to cut grass. All of these are examples of giving.

Jesus gave of Himself constantly. Matt. 20:27‑28 – And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant: Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many. Memorize this passage and you will become a better giver.

Word for Today
Allocate – to share, to give out.

Quote for Today
“A harmless hilarity and a buoyant cheerfulness are not infrequent concomitants of genius; and we are never more deceived than when we mistake gravity for greatness, solemnity for science, and pomposity for erudition.”
– Charles Caleb Colton

3 Comments:

  • Thanks pastor that was awesome!!! That makes me not only appreciate my family and all they've done,but Jesus also he had no self about him and I hope and pray I can be more like him everyday.P.S. Thank you for being a great teacher and friend
    YOUR BROTHER:
    JON MALLICH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 AM  

  • Amen. Can you teach me to play basketball better?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 PM  

  • Pastor Roy thank you for reminding me that the greatest gift I can give is of myself. Even in the midst of all the hussle and bussle of life it is always nice to have a gentle reminder to keep your priorities straight. I thnak God for the ability to be loved and give love. God Bless your for your giving. Tanya

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home